Find what inspires you!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

8x8 Scrapbook Dimensions- Alice in Wonderland

I started working 8x8 scrapbook pages and when it was time to place them in a book or binder I couldn't find anything I liked. So for a while I looked into how I could bind the pages myself in a way that worked for me and my projects. I decided to bind them with paper extensions and glue and the pages themselves are chipboard with cardstock on top. Take a look... I have created different ones based on friends and clients requests...

This first one inspired by +Alice In Wonderland.

The books is 3 inches thick and contains 8 pages. The spine is covered in leather with a charm ring attached, then I added ribbons,beads, keys and a pocket watch to the ring. The exterior is covered in fabric, lace and paper flowers. The fabric is MadHatter, with Alice as a seperate fabric top layer.The closure for the book is ceramic book knob.





This is the 1st pair of pages, with Alice in the parlor on the left looking for the kitty and Tea being served on the right page with words of inspiration poured into the tea cup. The Teapot and tea cup open to reveal section for journaling.

This is the 2nd pair of pages in the book, the left page is Alice as her curiousity is aroused by a tiny little door with a room containing a table with a potion for drinkng (shrinking. shhh... she doesnt see it yet). Then below on the right page, you find her suddenly shrunken down perfectly to be able to fit through the door. As you see now the little table is larger then her and the bottle rests on the floor towering over her. On the left page in the picture frames are floating metal chairs.There is a picture frame on the right page where a photo can replace the card insert. Also the door hinges open and the bottle topper is ineractive. It can sit in the bottle top or rest attached by ribbon on the side as image displays below.



The 3rd pair of pages in the book I will speak on seperately,
The madhatter Hat, left page...
This hat was lots of fun for me, its the one piece I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like. Which is not the norm for me, usually I never have anything planned out, I prefer to just figure things out as I go along, its more fun that way. There are fabric covered button on the top of the hat, then attachd a chain link with a pocket watch dangling on the right. I glued lace onto paper and then out into shapes to add dimension to hat. There is a white feather with a AB rhinestone heart on top. I also made a Hat pin with crystals and a pearl bead at the tip. Its removable. The Hat opens from the bottom up to reveal a colorful journaling or photo section.



The TeaParty, right page... this was great fun to create! I must add that I have never made a book like this so its was all so very exciting to see what I would end up with as each page unveiled itself to me.
The Cheshire cat steals the show for me on this page. I found these images on google and printed them out in black and white then colored them in, glued them onto chipboard, cut them out and placed them on the page. I placed kitty perched on a tree. The tree I also made of chipboard and covered in decorative moss from the craft store. The moss runs along the entire base of the page as grass beneath the picnic table. The table and chairs I drew onto chipboard glued decorative cardstock on top, cut out the pieces and placed them on the page. I did the same with the teapot, tea cups, jam, desserts etc. The table flips open from bottom up. By the way all my doors in my books have magnetic closures so they remain closed as you turn the pages.

This is the final pair of pages in the book. Again, another fun section to build.
The left page 4-Way mini book consists of a tree I made with red and pink flowers to match the image on the center of the page. The tree is covered in moss and falls also along the base of the page. The center piece is a four-way flip book. It reveals several sections for journaling or photos. The base.of the mini book has red chandelier beads. On the right top of the left page is a note card with chain links connected to a crown and key charm.
 
The right page -The Queen, with "off with their head" theme in mind, I made the queen from a printout and colored it in, glued onto chipboard and placed it onto the page as a sleeve. Behind the Queen you can slip in and out cards or photos. I inserted two large ones and decorated both sides with her "soldiers" and quaint phrases. All my card inserts have a grommet on top and cooridating ribbon.
On the right side of the right page are three windows  I created with doors that open. Inside each window is a charactor from the story and the one the Queen is pointed at looks very frightened. :)
 
 
 I would never of thought to create this book, if it wasnt because a friend wanted it made to give as a gift. I must thank +Linda Z for the opportunity and the experience, I enjoyed every moment, OKAY except for the page binding part, that was boring but necessary, kinda like doing laundry.  :)
 


3 comments:

  1. love these.. would love to know how you put the binding together..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    thanks so much glad you enjoyed them. For the binding I cut thick card stock the height and width of the book spine which is 8x3 then folded one inch inward vertically on each side. This gives you a 8x1 binder for a page. You make 2 of these and then sandwhich your page in btwn.You do this until you have all your pages connected. Just adhere as you build each bind and add each page to build your book. When your done you shld have all binds adhered together to create one spine. Now create a spine cover. You can use more cardstock. I hope this helps.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary,
    thanks so much glad you enjoyed them. For the binding I cut thick card stock the height and width of the book spine which is 8x3 then folded one inch inward vertically on each side. This gives you a 8x1 binder for a page. You make 2 of these and then sandwhich your page in btwn.You do this until you have all your pages connected. Just adhere as you build each bind and add each page to build your book. When your done you shld have all binds adhered together to create one spine. Now create a spine cover. You can use more cardstock. I hope this helps.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete