Find what inspires you!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Steampunk Pendant-Charms

Steampunk - How it started:
 
I started down this road, because I needed a pocket watch charm for my very first steampunk scrapbook and couldn't find anything out there that worked for my design. So like most curious cats, I went out and tried to figure out how to make one. I had so much fun with it, that I started making several.  I just started a month ago and with trial and error, here's what I have so far. I hope you like it.

 Angel-Balloons:
As you can see I started with a pocket watch bezel. I then lined the inside with a decorative vintage background, with use of paper, ink, stamping and staining. I then sealed it and let it dry. All this work for the initial layer takes a couple hours. Then I start on the next layer. I play with gears, shapes, textures and color until I find something that works in this 30mm small space. BTW, the outside diameter is 35mm. In this piece I cut gears to fit, I inked gears for dimension and color. I then glued them down for security.

For the top layer I placed a silver vintage cherub/angel. I then attached wire stems to her hand for the 'string" that I connected two green pear shaped crystals for "balloons" at the top. Then to the right of the angel I added a flower made of clay and painted green. To the right of the flower I placed a silver heart with a green crystal on top.

On the bezel face, I inlaid by hand over 300 gold seed-beads, layer upon layer to give the "encrusted texture" feel. On top of the seed beads I hand placed /evenly separated 15 green crystals. I finished the piece with a single green crystal at the top of the bezel.





 
 
Eiffel Tower:

 To the base layer is just as if not most important of all three layers in this piece. The base has to be sealed and dry before you add the next layer of pieces. Also, each item in your piece must be sealed before you start the last step of building in your resin.
The base in this piece I colored it with a denim blue and added more distress to it and then sealed it.
I then added the first layer of gears. There are 2 gears at the bottom beneath large copper gear. I then added the copper gear, but fist glued Martha Stuart blue "fine" glitter onto the gear edges. I then added drops of glossy accents to each gear tip for dimension.
Each gear is glued down into the bezel for security.



For the top layer I placed a silver vintage Eiffel tower with a clock hand on top to give the idea that the tower is the larger of the "2" watch hands. I added a royal blue crystal on top of the clock hand. To the right of the tower I placed a deep royal purple flower.
On the bezel face, I inlaid by hand over 50 crystals in complimenting colors of blue and ice black . They appear to work well with the inlaid design. I finished the piece with a single blue crystal at the top of the bezel.

Here are a few more,
I won't write up a detail for each one,  since I think you now have an idea of my method, so please take a look and I hope you find some enjoyment in these to follow:
 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment