Find what inspires you!

Friday, December 13, 2013

DomeLit Display - Tree Decorations

Hello friends, I hope you are happy and having fun this season.
 I am finding inspiration everywhere I go and this piece is no exception. I was at Macy's looking for a gift for a friend and I wanted something elegant but playful. I wondered into their Holiday Décor, naturally right?  LOL... :)

 
I found these beautiful snow globes, but they were heavy and you had to shake them to make the snow move. I wanted a decorative piece and they could of worked perfectly, except... well I wasn't sure. So I walked away and just kept thinking about it all day.

Then  a week later  I saw these glass mini cake displays. I wondered how hard would it be if I could create my own winter scene and try to have it light up? So I bought a couple of mini displays, and got to work.

This first image is the completed piece, which I entitled "Tree Decorations".
In the next couple of images I will explain what I used to make it.

DomeLit Display -TreeDecorations




So here is the piece with all the removable pieces displayed for you to get a better idea. I used card board to make the round base for the battery compartment and the base of the winter scene.

The house is made of very thin wood I got at Joanns. Measure, cut glued. Then I drew using my digital art a "house", then printed cut and glued that to the sides of the wood,. I lined the inside with red felt. I placed a candy cane ornament inside as a surprise. But this is a great hiding place for that special trinket or beloved treasure. The roof (is removable and serves as the house "lid" and  is also made of wood and paper glued on top.




 As you can see in the above photo, the scene is of a little girl just footsteps away from her family home. She is holding a red ornament in preparation to decorate the tree. On the right of the house is a douglas fir tree and beside that is a doe seeking nourishment. I made a sign in front with the greeting "Merry Christmas". I placed lights throughout the scene that are battery operated and can be easily replaced as needed. At the base of the scene I placed white satine ribbon with pearl seed beads. I also added crystal gem drops to accent the pieces elegance and height. The snow on the roof of the house and the tree and the scene floor is all found at Michaels.






 
This last image is a view of the structure for more perspective on the design elements and how the battery compartment conceals and houses the batteries and light switch.
 
 
I will be selling this piece at our upcoming event on 12-15-13. If you are interested please email me at bellaluzdesignz@yahoo.com and I will be happy to help you. I will be making some for upcoming  summer season as well, so stay tuned.  
Take care,
Lyn

No comments:

Post a Comment